Join the Environmental Education Team on one of our conservation areas as we explore just some of the reasons why these areas deserved to be conserved! Registration for all our community programs is appreciated and required for groups of 5 or more for any program.
- Plant Pursuit: Take a walk with one of our trained education team as we identify a portion of the botanical diversity that can be found growing in our green spaces. Wear good hiking shoes and bring a camera and your favorite field guide if you have them. Programs run for 2 hours, rain or shine, and are held once per season.
- Fungus Among Us: Ever wonder what that mushroom is growing in your yard? Join the Education Team and Western PA Mushroom Club experts as we hike our green spaces in search of the myriad of fungus species that can be found. Wear good hiking shoes and bring a camera and your favorite field guide if you have them. We will not be harvesting the specimens but instead leaving them for others to appreciate. Programs run for 2 hours, rain or shine, and are held twice a year on a different property each time.
- Creek Critters: Join our Education Team as we wade into the waters that flow through our green spaces in search of the macroinvertebrates that can help determine the health of our waters. Great for families and community groups. We will be getting wet to varying degrees and closed-toe shoes are required. All programs run for two hours and are held rain or shine on the first Monday each month May through October. Locations vary and will be noted on the calendar event.
- Starlight Strolls: Ever wonder what our green spaces are like after dark? Join our Education Team as we stroll under the light of the full moon each month. Topics vary depending on the evening’s leader and can include nocturnal and crepuscular creatures, astronomy, lore and much more! Hikes run rain or shine for an hour each full moon. Great for families and community groups or as an extra credit activity for science classes. Pre-registration is highly recommended and required for groups of 5 or more.
- Twitter in the Trees: Listen to the sounds of the forests, meadows, and streams as we venture into our green spaces to count the wide variety of birds that call our greenspaces home. Become a citizen scientist; no experience or equipment needed. Programs will run for 2 hours, rain or shine, seasonally including the Migratory Bird Count in May and the Christmas Bird Count in December.